Thursday, December 23, 2010

Nandan's brief of his first day in parliament!

Must read..................
 

 
This is how Indian Parliament
works: READ ON.

 
From
 
an INFOSCION to a POLITICION - Nandan's Chronicles -  2
 

 
Continuing my tryst
 
with capturing the life and times of Nandan Nilekani in his
 
new avatar as a Cabinet Minister, here is what he had penned
 
after his first day in the Parliament. The last entry
 
stopped when the House was just about to begin. Let’s see
 
what happened thereafter….

The>
House was in pin drop silence. I was brimming with
anticipation and excitement!!!! Manmohan had informed me
 
that my introduction was one of the important points of the
 
agenda. I hoped that I will be able to make my speech
 
properly. After so many interviews and conferences, I was
 
nervous today!!!! After the Speaker indicated that the
 
proceedings of the House could begin, Manmohan formally
 
introduced me to the entire House. He mentioned that as the
 
head of the Unique Identification Authority of India, I was
 
responsible to ensure that each and every Indian had a
 
digital smart card as a proof of his existence.
 

 

 
Manmohan spoke
 
about why I was selected and also some references to the
 
various projects executed by me in Infosys were mentioned.
 
The House listened with rapt attention. I was asked to say a
 
few words and I did exactly the same!!! I thanked the
 
Government of India for having given me this opportunity and
 
I assured the House that I would strive to successfully
 
deliver this project. The Speaker then formally inducted me
 
into the House and before the proceedings could move any
 
forward, there was a small commotion on the other side of
 
the hall.
 

 
It
 
was Minister of Textiles who had a comment to make before
 
the next point on the agenda. He made a request that I
 
should be attired in a more austere way instead of a flashy
 
suit. It did not go well with the image of a minister who
 
should live to serve the common man and should be less
 
ostentatious in his habits. I stood up to reply. I offered
 
my apologies to the Honourable Minister and assured that I
 
shall be in a more acceptable dress next time. I felt that
 
he was right. We also used to have corporate dress code in
 
Infosys. So it's here as well!!!!
 

 
I
 
sat down and felt somebody nudging me. I turned around and
 
to my surprise; it was the former Indian skipper and one of
 
my favourite batsman Mohd. Azharuddin. I remembered that he
 
had recently won the elections. I smiled at him and
 
mentioned to him that I used to like his game very much,
 
shaking his hand. No Rolex, I noticed. Azhar told me that he
 
would “fix” me an appointment with an Italian designer
 
who had designed his dapper Kurta suit. An Italian designer
 
in Milan doing Kurtas!!!!! I made a note of this and
 
reminded myself to give this example to Friedman for his
 
next book,” The World Markets are flattened”.
 

 

 
Since there was no
 
doubt about the “Fixational” capacities of Azhar, I told
 
him to give me the details and I would consider. The
 
proceedings of the House went on with numerous bills being
 
debated and passed as I sat as a passive audience waiting
 
for my project’s turn to come up. After the lunch break,
 
it was the moment for me!!!!
 

 
MY
 
PROJECT”S FIRST REVIEW CAME UP FOR PRESENTATION.
 

 
I
 
was at sea. My laptop did not have any reserve power. I went
 
to Manmohan and apprised him of the situation. I was
 
sweating. He calmly replied that this would not be a cause
 
of concern. I was flummoxed!!!! The Speaker asked me to
 
explain to the House on what were my plans for the Unique
 
Identity Project. I replied that I have a plan prepared for
 
30-60-90-120 days’ milestones and I have presentation to
 
make for which I need a power socket, a projector and a
 
screen. I had no idea what was going to happen after this.
 

 

 
The
 
next couple of minutes were a complete jolt for me. I was
 
completely in a tizzy. Let me just summarize what happened.
 
A Joint Cabinet Secretary Committee was set up to judge the
 
feasibility of my request. The Under Secretaries for the
 
Ministries of Power, IT and Broadcasting will prepare a
 
Viability Report after scrutinizing National Security
 
threats to my request. This was because the power socket
 
comes under Power, laptop comes under IT and projector comes
 
under Broadcasting. I have also been told to reconsider my
 
timelines of 30-60-90 days and start thinking in terms of
 
years. Probably, they are right. I did not have the
 
foresight in this matter.
 

 
The
 
summary of the issue is that I need to come up with a more
 
inclusive, democratic, comprehensive long term plan for this
 
project to be executed over the next five years. I have also
 
been given a presentation slot 3 months from now (by which
 
the issues related to the power cord etc will also be
 
resolved). I am filled with mixed reactions. I was planning
 
for a quick resolution; the management wants a strategic
 
solution. I come out of the House and text Murthy.
 

 

 
 
“You won’t
 
believe it but these guys work just like us. I am on a
 
NATIONAL BENCH for the next three months!!!!!!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment